Thursday 22 April 2010

My Favourite Moment of Election Madness Yet…

My local UKIP candidate, Jeff Burgess, put his election leaflet through my door this week.  Though I have no intention on voting for such a hollow and xenophobic party I thought it’d be amusing to give the leaflet a read anyway.  I wasn’t wrong.

After a fairly standard UKIP ramble about declining standards and political correctness gone mad, the pièce de résistance came in the section headed: “My local issues are”.

Two bullet-points followed the heading.  The first was definitely a local issue: “Ensure that no jobs are lost at Cadbury due to the Kraft takeover, also to ensure Cadbury and its traditions remain in Bournville.”  He wasn’t clear exactly how he would achieve this, but to give Burgess his credit it is a far saner and much less disgustingly xenophobic statement than Conservative candidate, Nigel Dawkins, offered hysterically in his own new leaflet this week: “It was one of the saddest days of my life when Cadbury ceased to be British.”

Bullet-point number two, however, is possibly the maddest piece of election literature I have ever received. 

After the relative calm of the Cadbury promise, we are suddenly greeted with this nonsense:  The promise to “Expose the myth of global warming created through the use of falsified figures which are then used to raise excessive taxes.”

What the what?

Where the hell did that come from?  And how is it in any way a “local issue”, let alone an election priority?

UKIP: not just xenophobic pound fetishists, but climate deniers too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment